Style this week!

Style this week!
Look of the week. A hit!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I am Grateful

Hola!
Back from Vancouver and soaking up the LA sun! Say what you will about LA but you can't beat the beautiful sunshine and blue skies! Yesterday, In my back yard, I literally had to talk louder on the phone because the birds were chirping so loud... in the words of Rachel Zoe, "A-Maz- zing." Since I have been back I have been reintegrating myself back into the LA groove and discovering little charms that have popped up while I have been gone! Above all,  is Café Gratitude right out of San Fran to LA. I can't even tell you how much I love this establishment- but I'll try: First. because of the location, second because of the desserts, third because of the beautiful menu of which everything is fresh and delicious, fourth because of the staff,  fifth, because of the clientele,  finally, because of the philosophy behind this wonderful restaurant.

It must be understood first that this restaurant is completely vegan and some raw. It must also be understood that I am in no way vegan and still think this is the best food ever.

Conveniently,  it is located literally 2 blocks way from my house and so I have been walking there  everyday (to my husbands dismay). Right on Larchmont and Melrose- easy and accessible, open and airy. Has an out door patio on pretty days but inside is cozy and light with communal tables (and regular tables when you are feeling like a bitch :-).

I really can't go on until I tell you about the desserts: They are all raw (non cooked), so good in fact that I bought the cook book and made the tiramisu myself. A two day process- yes. Worth it- yes. They are all made with nuts, date paste, and about a billion other natural and organic products- many of which need much pre cooking prep. I must admit the labor intensive recipe was super delicious... but with that said, I will most likely walk down the block and buy it the next time I have a hankering. In short,  I highly recommend going and giving it a try... I think it is better than the classic one. That isn't the only sweet treat that is fantastic though: they have coconut cream pie, Hazel nut fudge pie, ice cream, and all sorts of cheese cakes (cheese-less of coarse). It is incredible that all dishes have no dairy, no sugar (refined), no artificial sweetener, and are raw because they are so freaking good!
                                                                    The one I made

                                                             The last piece... gone in a week!

The main menu is nothing short of absolutely delicious as well. Everything is fresh, well seasoned, and truly satisfying. I am addicted to their salads, made with kale, seaweed , and other ocean veggies...  I have yet to order something that I didn't love. But more than that, it makes you feel so good. Even my husband was totally skeptical about even stepping foot in there, but after he ate the  "I AM ELATED" ~ SPECIAL ENCHILADA DEL DIA -  An original live soft vegetable tortilla w/today’s sprouted seed filling, topped with spicy salsa verde & cashew sour cream. Served w/Mexican cilantro-spiced coleslaw & your choice of steamed quinoa or brown rice... He had to admit it was pretty ridiculous. You have to try it to believe it.



The philosophy that C.G. stands behind goes hand in hand with the delicious food. The Cafe Gratitude credo is : "Café Gratitude is our expression of a world of plenty. Our food and people are a celebration of our aliveness. We select the finest organic ingredients to honor the earth and ourselves, as we are one and the same. We support local farmers, sustainable agriculture, and environmentally-friendly products. Our food is prepared with love. We invite you to step inside and enjoy being someone who chooses: loving your life, adoring yourself, accepting the world, being generous and grateful every day, and experiencing being provided for. Have fun and enjoy being nourished. Welcome to Café Gratitude! "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."-Hippocrates
Everything on the menu is listed as a positive adjective - I am Pure, I am fortified, I am strong, I am thriving, I am fulfilled. Even the plates you eat on have written "what are you grateful for?"  When I arrive at the cashier to take my order, they ask me my name and if I want to hear the question of the day which is something like "what empowers you most?" This gets me thinking about something wonderful rather than whatever I was worried about before. The vibe is so chill-everyone working there smiles and has feathers in their hair (which I love). When I receive my food (take out), written on the box is, "Katy, you are pure." or whatever I have ordered.  Seems small, even hokey but it makes me feel so good. The whole philosophy is so positive that I can't help but leave happier than when I got there, no matter how cynical I am feeling that day- it's infectious. The clientele reflects the restaurant as well- the crowd is colorful, and diverse with a bohemian/ Hollywood vibe... it's great.
 Also, one of the items on the menu is called "I am grateful" it is a meal that is donation only for anyone who can't afford to eat organic fresh food to always have a healthy meal. If you want to order it and donate the $7.00 that it's worth, you can also donate $7.00 more which pays for a meal to the hungry... really cool.


I know I have gone on and on, but I highly recommend giving it a go. It has inspired me to cook that way at home more, and reminded me to be grateful for fresh and wonderful food that I have in abundance. In short Café Gratitude has made me quite grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment