Style this week!

Style this week!
Look of the week. A hit!

Friday, April 1, 2011

We Came, We Saw, We Ate!

I woke up this morning put on my jeans and was greeted by the second worse reminder of a big weekend next to the hangover- Tight jeans! Nope, not the result of a hot dryer but rather the result of a decadent and gluttonous three consecutive weekends filled with friends, family, wine, cheese, delicious food and divine desserts! There is not a better way to put on 5 pounds than with really good food and even better company!
SO here here I talk about only some of the many insane meals we have had in the last month that have left me as happy as a pig in Sh*#!t, as the saying goes... literally.
Right after I tackled my fist dozen Oysters

So, first on my list is Rondney's Oyster Bar- wow, I don't know where to begin-well, I'll start with the oysters. They are delicious. I LOVE oysters! fried and on the 1/2  shell, even sub sandwiches. I am a fan of the wonderful Texas jumbo Gulf, all the way to the fresh Chilean grown off the coast of Africa, and lets not forget Seattle's best- But the ones in vancouver are up there with some of the most scrumptious oysters I have ever had. Small and tasty to medium/ large- they are all fresh and delicious. I have no idea how many are shucked there a day but I would say over 1,000. The seafood is equally as fresh and fabulous. Forget about the salmon, Mom's already eaten it! Scallops the size of your fist- Unreal. Piéce de résistance,  fried oysters! UGhhhh, out of control good! The staff looks as though they all played on the same hockey team- young, good looking guys who yell down at each other for orders or just for the sake of yelling, and fancy themselves as very clever. The vibe is a casual and  buzzing and the crowd is lively and fresh. The music is amazing, and makes you want to stay there all night, which we have! If I hadn't eaten 3 dozen orders last time I was there, I might go there tonight. My favorite spot in Vancouver. The dessert (chocolate muse is delish, but I'm usually so full it hard to fully appreciate).
Around 3:00 they open the front window and start shucking oysters, chatting with people walking by
                                                                           DELISH!
Next is a sushi spot- I wont spend too long on sushi because LA has some of the best sushi ever, but this one is pretty special. Honjin Sushi is as good as the best in LA. They have their own style which revolves around a fresh and immaculately cut fish. They are liberal with Japanese basil and fresh fruit which makes for an unbelievable taste and texture. The sunshine roll- Shrimp tempura rolled up with crab and avocado, basil with a fresh mango cut on top of a fresh piece of sashimi- unreal. This restaurant is 20 steps from our house, I kid you not. The sushi chief, Chris is amazing and when we have done omakase (means: it's up to you) or chief choice, his creativity does not disappoint! The host James could not be nicer and loves to chat about the states. Love this place.






Bin 941 is located down the street from us and has some of the best Tapas I have ever tasted. Let me just skip straight to the meal that had me at hello- and good-bye: flank steak with shoestring (salted perfectly) frenchfries (not too thin) piled on top with maple sirup drizzled all over... One of the best things I have ever had. Everything was perfection. Because the portions are small, the rich decadence is effective... well this one isn't so small, is it... hmmmm.
              This picture actually looks kind of off putting- trust me when I say it is AMAZING

The Four Seasons, a personal favorite of mine for their impeccable service where ever we may be,  always has exceptional food. What I crave from them (other than room-service) is their ice cold Blond ale with a hint of Apricot, poured in a tall thin frosted glass- exceptionally satisfying!
                                             (I didn't have a picture that did it justice)

Some honorable mentions in regards to beverages are:
Caffe Artigianos- with the best cappuccinos and Laté in town

And the Bloody caesar (this one is from Cactus Club but it is a Canadian version on the Bloody Mary and we think it is pretty effective!

What would a girl do without an afternoon tea with friends! Well, my lovely Cat and I found Proper high tea at the Fairmont hotel (the oldest building in Vancouver) located in Downtown proper.  Newly renovated, it has that feeling of old elegance. Forget the tea- no joke, the scones are like nothing I have ever experienced. Cathleen turned to me and said "I understand, for the first time, why people eat scones."
Their Mini toasted ham and gruyére cheese croissant are not bad either...
                (we had just trudged through a snow storm for 3 hours so we were a bit disheveled)

With all this scrumptious food and tight jeans, you can understand my plight, and so I have turned to the Canadian version of the Barre Method called Barre Fitness, in the same fashion as the american version, to whip me back into shape for spring. The workout revolves around a ballet bar in combination with light weights and resistance balls. The staff is SO nice, I feel like I have friends here when I go- not to mention the great workout they provide. This is also 3 blocks away, so there is no excuse!
                                                                 Great studio space
                               I love this picture- such a great view and I can actually feel the pain


Such a great way to put on five, but I now return to fresh fruit, vegetables an lean protein. Next time I will take you through Granville market- one of the best farmers markets I have ever been to and some of the most beautiful produce I have ever seen! I would say the only thing that could rival these restaurants is the fresh produce they have!

PS. My Husband's show "The Killing" is on AMC this Sunday (April 3rd) 8/9 central p.m.  Enjoy!
                                                                    Us at the premier !

1 comment:

  1. so much fun!! we loved visiting you guys and enjoying the fab food...and when i say fab...i mean fabulous and extremely delicious!!!! miss you!! xxx

    ReplyDelete