Style this week!

Style this week!
Look of the week. A hit!

Friday, January 28, 2011

From LA to Vancouver

Hi there!
This is my first Blog post! When I woke up this morning, I didn't plan to have a blog (nor did I plan the pink birds on the page) but I was looking through another blog and one thing lead to another and boom, here I am... This blog feels like I just went out and bought a puppy... you don't really think at first..., and then you get home with the puppy and it's staring at you and your staring at it, and then you think, 'oh gosh, now I'm going to have to take care of this thing!' 


So, here I go... 
I just moved from L.A. to Vancouver (for six months) with my husband Eric, and it has been so exciting! There is something about moving to a new place that is just so invigorating! There is absolutely nothing like it. Your senses are heightened, and you're on the constant look-out for all new things to shape your new life. And with this empty canvas situation, you are able to re-sculpt a life routine that is new and fresh, and fabulous, because you have new energy driving you. I find it's important to try and capitalize on these rare opportunities to grow and expand (no matter how uncomfortable it can sometimes be). In short, out with the old, and in with the NEW! While I have been here, I have been able to try some new and different things that I would love to share. 

Today, I think I'll start off talking a little bit about the neighborhood I am living in called Yaletown, Vancouver- I am IN LOVE with this place. In LA, I live in an area called Larchmont (around Handcock Park). I really love it there as well, and when I found out I was moving to Van City (annoying abbreviation?) with Eric, I was so sad to leave our charming neighborhood with our farmers market and little outside cafes, local yoga, etc., all of which I had become so accustomed to. 
Eric assured me that we were moving to a "dope spot" (an area he himself was very adamant about living), so I was optimistic. [I would not call myself high maintenance, and low maintenance would certainly be an incorrect description- lets just say, I like what I like] so if he was confidant in my approval, I was all in (but a tad nervous).


To get to the point, I would say he under sold it. Aside from the obvious "dope spot", I would describe Yaletown somewhere between The Meat Packing District, Austin Texas 6th street, and Silver Lake- but immaculately clean with less people. The crowd is young and really attractive. Girls are dressed in the newest looks, highlighted/ blown-out hair, not over done, but fashion conscious for sure, and very friendly and so cool. It is not a myth- Canadians (border control exempted) are really really lovely people and very polite. There are TONS of young moms- never seen so may strollers in my life with such put together moms. (the babies are obviously really cute too but they have so much clothing on, they all look like little puffs balls with pink cheeks).


The food is amazing! ( I'll go into more detail later) There are restaurants after restaurants on every street peppered with specialty bars (ie. make up bar, wax bar, lash bar, nail bar, blow-out bar, on and on and on) there is a specialty bar for every pampering need possible. Eric told me I was going to have to step it up out here because of all primping huts available- I was like "but I'm in Canada, I just left L.A," the irony. There is also no shortage of hair salons. Good lord, there are three on very block- no wonder everyone has a great cut and color! ( Of course I am taking a break from color when I have full access to 10, 000 salons that look tremendous!) 


Most surreal of all is that we are located on the water (no view) in the most insane location imaginable. There are dog parks on absolutely every corner with adjoining open green parks that go on forever and beautiful playgrounds. (Chance, my dog is in heaven) David Lamb Park and (I can't remember the other park name but when I post about parks, I'll have it!) are some, to name a few, outside our door. The parks and water that surround this city, simply cap off the awesome energy this pace radiates. Organic mixed with chic... absolutely nothing better... and I haven't even touched on the markets, the Asian influence, the weather (yikes), art, stores, transportation, and activities! 


In the next few months I will try to post specific charms I have come across and my trials and tribulations while I make my way through this city, so that you get a taste of this fantastic adventure that I am on. I am stoked to put it out there and help generate some positive energy in this wonderful world we live in. Thanks for reading, and I have attached some pics from outside our apartment and on our daily walks.


Have a Fabulous Day,


Katy Lady
English Bay

This is where chance likes to run... $2,000 fine for dogs on the beach (he better)

Outside our apartment

On a run on my way home- I wish I could have captured the color of the sky better.

5 comments:

  1. love your new blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your the Best! can;t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I so so so love hearing about y'alls big adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting....I love reading about your adventure! I love you guys and miss you so much!
    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you. Can't wait to see what you find. I love that city!

    ReplyDelete